Date night is a wonderful opportunity for you and your partner to reconnect and deepen your relationship. A successful date leaves us feeling connected and appreciated. It also helps to strengthen friendship.
Multiple studies have found that a strong friendship is the foundation for a long-term, healthy relationship.
I’ve come up with six rules for a date night to keep the spark alive in your relationship.
- Give both yourself and your partner permission to try new things, feel a little silly, and just have fun!
- Focus on being the listener for the evening. Be curious and open to what your date has to say. Try to be interested rather than interesting!
- Honor your date’s perspective without assuming what they think or trying to convince them to think the same way you do. You may be surprised by what you find out!
- Own the evening. The night belongs to you and your date.
- Be intentional about the topics you discuss. Avoid discussions about children, bills, work, or anything else that is a common stressor for the two of you.
- Follow the Rules!…(because I tend to need to be reminded of this one)….
If you’re looking for something different to do on your next date night, join us in Suwanee for Spark! For more information, visit us at www.growcounseling.com/spark – our new dates will be posted soon!
Jackie Dunagan, LAMFT
jdunagan @ GROWcounseling.com
Photo Credit: Public Domain